INTRODUCTION: To evaluate the demographic and clinical features of eye injury cases in the Syrian civil war.
METHODS: A total of 224 eyes of 212 Syrian patients who were referred urgently to Hatay Mustafa Kemal University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology between January 2011 and December 2018 were evaluated retrospectively. The types of trauma and clinical findings were analyzed.
RESULTS: The vast majority of patients (n = 194, 91.5 %) were male. The mean age was 29.50 ± 10.76 years (range 1-74). A total of 30 patients (14.15%) were under 18 years of age. Most of the eye traumas (n = 177, 79.0%) were open globe injuries and the remaining 21.0% (n = 47) were closed globe injuries. Intraocular foreign body (IOFB) was detected in 106 eyes (47.32%). In 74.10% (n = 166) of the cases, primary repair was performed, and evisceration was performed in 4.46% (n = 10).
DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSION: Our study indicated that war conditions can cause serious eye injuries for civilians. These conditions often cause vision and eye loss in adults and children. In addition, all units carrying and treating the patient should be in strong coordination to minimize vision loss, time loss and economic loss.